Tuesday 24 May 2016

Why do we play? Why are we Gamers?

Why do I play games, why do you play games, what engages us, draws us in. I started gaming in 1989, my parents bought me a Gameboy, and a Nintendo entertainment system. Console gaming wasn't overly huge back then games where centred around either involving the entire family or were single player platformers. If you wanted to compete with other gamers you found your nearest arcade, or invited your mates around for a 2 player sesh.
       Mario Bro's/Duck Hunt was my first entry into the gaming world. I remember sitting there determined to master every level, every jump, platform gaming required, skill, coordination, and above patience. Platform games back then were easy to play but sometimes impossible to master, I loved the challenge and earning bragging rights for speed runs. Gaming was simple back then, you didn't need a fast internet connection, you didn't need a pro controller to get the upper hand, you just played and enjoyed.
    
Gaming continued liked this for me throughout the cartridge ages and well into the reign of CD, and DVD. I was a single player campaign gamer, platformers and adventure games where my escape, especially as a child/teenager, my parents had gone through a nasty separation, so gaming for me was a way of escaping reality. Even if only for a short while, I didn't have to worry about anything or concentrate on anything else but the game. I borrowed my mates Super Nintendo to master Super Mario World, played my N64 into the ground on the hunt for all 120 stars in Super Mario 64. My all time favourite game though still stands with Super Mario Sunshine, when released this game wasn't well received by the gaming world, but I loved it, it looked amazing, it was challenging, and it was different.
      I remember back in 2009 connecting my Xbox 360 to the internet, signing up for Xbox Live Gold
and playing my first online match. The game, Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
This was incredible, I had never played anything like it, I could play the game as well as either talking to mates or meeting new gamers around the world. Of course online gaming had been around already for many, many years, especially for PC, this was just my first dabble. I was hooked COD was my new gaming hobby though back then and still now I am really no good, well compared to most others I still enjoy what these games have to offer. I'm probably not as drawn to them as some of the originals especially black ops that's my favourite in the series by far. This series in my opinion launched online gaming on consoles and gave the console gaming world something it hadn't really had before.
            As you can see gaming has evolved over the decades from the arcade, to our homes, to in our hands. But has it changed, is it still engaging, I believe so. Gaming still derives from its original concept, interactive digital entertainment, its become larger than the film industry and is still evolving with VR now becoming more mainstream.
           What's your story?, why does gaming appeal to you? leave your stories in the comments if you wish, or tell us about your favourite game and why. Until next time....
                                                      Game on, and Play hard!! 

      

No comments:

Post a Comment